How to use OpenVPN on Android and Windows
If you’re looking for a way to get access to a variety of websites blocked by governments like TUMBLR, you may need this one. Actually, the benefits of the OpenVPN app are not just that. What are you? Find out more through reading this article. This article will also discuss in a complete and concise way how to use it across your various devices, be it on Android or Windows.
What Is OpenVPN?
OpenVPN is one of the applications/software that is open source. The point is to access the Internet via Virtual Private Networking or often abbreviated as a VPN.
How Does OpenVPN work?
OpenVPN itself works by creating an encrypted PTP Tunnel (Point-To-Point Tunnel) connection. This OpenVPN uses Private Keys and certificates, or more details by using a username and password in authenticating to establish a connection.
What are the benefits Of OpenVPN?
This application can not only be used to access blocked websites and can hide your IP address when accessing the Internet. Here is a complete explanation of the benefits that you can get by using OpenVPN on your device!
- you can do surfing/brosing anonymously. With this VPN access or connection, your real IP address will remain secure from other party’s vision. Why so? Because when you are surfing the Internet using a VPN, the IP Address that is visible is the IP address of the VPN server, not your own IP Address. This certainly makes you comfortable accessing the Internet, if you look at privacy as an important value in this digital era.
- You can access websites that are blocked by your provider or government. Of course, you understand that some websites are passing through surveillance systems that are still contentious in various countries, especially in Indonesia. You can read more about the Heat debate Internet positive Indonesia on the article we created earlier. Some people just want to read personal blogs that don’t contain any SARA content on TUMBLR, but Tumblr is blocked so those people are annoyed at the government’s policies. Well, with the VPN, you can still access the website as usual.
- you can actually access the Internet for free without pulse and without internet quota with the usage of this OpenVPN. So, you can browse without paying. Actually, almost all providers in Indonesia can be used for this free access. For GSM usually Telkomsel, Indosat, XL, AXIS, 3. As for CDMA usually Smartfren, Esia, Flexi. Regarding speed during browsing, this depends on your signal as well as the solid or the presence of BTS Traffic in your area.
- the other benefit is that you can increase the security of your device (both the system and all data stored in it) when using public WiFi. You need to know that free Internet access that is open to the public is very vulnerable to hacking and malicious Malware entry. This VPN app can be a way of protecting you from those things.
- you certainly do not want your data to be monitored by third parties as you access the Internet. Well, with that application, all connections are encrypted so that only you know your browsing history or sending data.
There are actually many other benefits of OpenVPN. The points we mentioned above are the main benefits of OpenVPN. Although this OpenVPN has many benefits, there are actually some disadvantages of OpenVPN. OpenVPN will generally make your connection a little slower. But that weakness is certainly covered with many advantages or benefits of OpenVPN earlier. Well, now we will discuss how to use OpenVPN on various devices so that you can instantly feel the benefits.
How to Use OpenVPn on Android
For you smartphone users with the Android operating system, you can follow these steps to run OpenVPN!
- First, try downloading the OpenVPN Connect app for Android, you can also search on your Google Play Store and install.
- then try to download the OpenVPN config that is still active. You can just search for it on a search engine like Google or on Facebook groups. You can even try making your own. Please find instructions on how to make it by browsing.
- If the active OpenVPN config is already available, you can install and run the OpenVPN application.
- you select the three dot icon on the top right on your smartphone screen.
- Click & #8220; Import & #8221;.
- then click & #8220; Import Profile From SD Card & #8221;.
- now please find the config with the & #8220;. ovpn format & #8221; you have saved in the previous step, then please click & #8220; Select & #8221;.
- then how to run it? You just have to run that config by clicking & #8220; Connect & #8221;. Then please wait for the process to connect, if successful then you will see a notification & #8220; Connected & #8221;.
- Lastly, try browsing as usual. OpenVPN is working.
How to Use OpenVPN on Windows
Do a few steps below to be able to use OpenVPN on your laptop or PC!
- Install on download link OpenVPN available. Then don’t forget to change the setting to “Run as Admin” for Windows 7 users upwards.
- Next, please you download config OpenVPN and select the download server you want. Actually, you can also search for other download links by doing a search on Google. You just enter keyword/keyword “download config OpenVPN”.
- extract from the OpenVPN file from the config link in the previous step. Then you will get OpenVPN files or folders on your laptop/PC.
- then, you please move the OpenVPN file/folder into “C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/config”. If you find any files other than for OpenvPN in there, please move them elsewhere.
- please use the Internet as usual. Is it WiFi or modem. Then try to set your port as desired. Supposing, you enter 8080 for inject. Then, do not forget to click “Start”
- Open Program “OpenVPN GUI” through the stages: click “Start” > “All Programs” > “OpenVPN” > “OpenVPN GUI” (position at the bottom right corner, near the clock)
- Right click on “OpenVPN GUI”, select “Setting” > “Manual Configuration” > “HTTP Proxy”. Then in the Address section, please enter a combination of number “127.0.01” and in the Port section enter the number in the previous stage (eg) “8080”. Then click “OK”
- Right click again on “OpenVPN GUI”, click “Connect”. Then please enter the username and password that you created earlier on the website download config. Wait until the color on the OpenVPN icon of the GUI turns green.
- well now try to run browsing as usual. It should be if all the steps you have worked without being missed then OpenVPN can work.
That’s how to use OpenVPN on Android and Windows.